1. How can I establish what level I should be in?
If you have only completed high school French and have not spoken or used French much since, we class you as a Beginner as you probably only speak very basic French! For this level, you do not need a level test. If you speak comfortably in the present tense with little hesitation, and are not sure what your level is, please contact us and we shall send you our Placement Test. Simply complete it and send it back to us so that we can evaluate your level. To do this more accurately, we may arrange a five minute phone call with you during which we shall ask you a few questions in French to confirm that you have been placed in the correct level.
2. Will I only study grammar during my lessons?
No. At our school, we strongly believe that a language is meant to be communicated. We therefore put a lot of emphasis on interaction and teach our students practical French which will allow them to speak and write with confidence. We also study vocabulary, reading comprehension and work on listening skills.
3. Where do Sorbonne Language School French lessons take place?
Our French group classes take place at #200-1892 West Broadway. Visit our Contact Us page for a map.
Our private lessons take place at our school or at your location. Please see our Private Classes page for more information.
4. What are the dates and cost of the group courses? How much do they cost? What time do they start?
Please visit our Group Classes page for this information.
5. How do I pay for my French lessons?
We prefer payment for private lessons by cheque or cash in order to keep our fees as low as possible. For our group classes, you can register and pay by credit card, debit card or Paypal on our registration page. For private lessons, we send you an invoice that you can pay by coming into the school or you can send us a cheque. Cheques should be made payable to Little Sorbonne Language School Inc. Payment must be made at the time of the first lesson. Receipts will of course be provided for all payments. For private lessons only, there is a 2% fee for payment by credit card or Paypal.
6. Is it necessary to buy the textbook which accompanies the General French Group Adult course?
No, the textbook is included in the course fee. It is an excellent textbook which features many items of grammar, vocabulary, reading comprehension and practical skill-work which we will cover during the course.
7. Is there a discount if two of us join the French Group class together?
Yes, there is a discount of $10 per person if two or more people join one of our 8+ week French courses together. No discounts are offered for the Pronounciation class or the Travel in French course or our 5-week courses. Please send us an email to let us know which 2 or more students shall be joining the class together.
8. What happens if I miss a lesson of the Group Adult French course?
You will not be reimbursed for the lesson, but you will have the lesson you will miss in advance and can study it while you are away. At the next lesson, the teacher will answer any questions you may have about the lesson you missed.
9. If I withdraw from a group adult class once it has begun, will I be refunded the tuition fee for the remaining classes?
Like most language schools, we do not give refunds if a student withdraws from a group adult class. If you need to withdraw from a Group Adult class, we require 5 days notice. If we receive 5 days notice, we can refund the course fee minus the non-refundable deposit of $39. If you withdraw less than 5 days before the class, we can’t refund your fee.
10. I would like to take individual French lessons. Is this possible?
Of course! We offer one-on-one private lessons at your or our location. We offer individual lessons of all levels in General French and Business French. Please visit our Private Lessons page or contact us for more information.
11. Can you refund my $39 deposit if I withdraw from a Group Adult Class?
We are sorry but our $39 deposits are non-refundable as we use them to save your seat in the particular class that you have signed up for.
12. Can you refund my payment that I made for private lessons?
For private lessons, we require 24 hours notice if you wish to cancel a lesson, without which we have to charge for the full class. If you wish to stop your lessons and receive a refund for a payment made towards private lessons, we need at least 24 hours’ notice. We can then give you a refund minus a $19 administration fee.
13. Are there lessons on Statutory Holidays?
No, our school is closed on Stat Holidays. If a group class falls on a Stat Holiday, there will not be a lesson on that day.
14. I have some further questions about studying at Sorbonne Language School. How can I contact you?
Please visit our Contact Us page. We will be happy to help you with any inquiry!